Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not my idea

A good friend of mine wanted to see a book of aliens and monsters I designed WAY back in middle school.  You see, instead of paying attention in class, I got funky with a pencil, pen, and paper, creating a whole mess of silly beasties from outer space.

To be honest, coming up with weird anatomical monsters really helped me begin to understand illustrating human anatomy.  Even though I was only 14 or so, I really strived to make these things look at least remotely plausible.  By doing so I found I started to fathom the connections between muscle, bone, and skin.

So when my friend saw this book, he thought it would be a great idea to do a "Then & Now" type blog, where I'd post an original piece I did way back in the time of the dinosaurs, and then re-interpret the same creature with the skills and abilities I'd developed over the past 30 or so years, posting both side by side.  I've decided to go a step further and add some meat to the aliens by giving them a back story and a name.  Some of these creatures I might use in future projects.  Only time will tell.

I'd like to post a new beastie every week, but I've got a VERY full plate, and I don't know if my intentions will be realized.

Anyways, thanks for taking a look at the renderings of my too idle, sick brain.

Later,
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment